One or more of the following may apply:
- Poor application performance overall (not isolated to just one case)
- Poor application performance immediately after performing a database schema upgrade.
In addition to running SQL maintenance (See KB) to address SQL index fragmentation, disk level fragmentation is also a significant factor in the performance of the SQL server.
- Launch Windows PowerShell as administrator (Right-click >> Run as Administrator)
- If your SQL data files were stored on the "E:\" volume, you can analyze disk fragmentation using the following command:
optimize-volume E -analyze -verbose
- Based on the output from that command, if you determine that the volume is fragmented you can defragment using this PowerShell command: