What are the minimal requirements for installing MS SQL Server 2016 & 2017 for use with AD software?
- Only the 7.x line of AccessData products supports MSSQL 2016 & 2017. For the 6.x product line, please refer to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 & 2014 Install Guide.
- These steps do not cover installing SQL Server Management Studio. That can be installed from the Install SQL Server Management Tools section of the SQL Server Installation Center or from here.
- 32-bit and Express versions of MSSQL are not supported
- Both "Standard" or "Enterprise" editions can be used
- MSSQL licensing should be done based on CPU Core count rather than by User count (CAL)
- Run the SQL Server Installation Setup executable and wait for the SQL Server Installation Center window to appear.
- Choose the Installation tab and click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- Enter your product key and click Next.
- Accept the License Terms, and click Next.
- When prompted, allow the installer to check for updates.
- On the Feature Selection page, check Database Engine Services and click Next. (Note: You can also modify the directories, if desired.)
- On the Instance Configuration page, select either Default Instance or Named Instance and click Next. (Note: If using a Named Instance, be sure to remember the name.)
- On the Server Configuration page, open the Collation tab and ensure the Database Engine is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI-AS and click Next. (Note: You may also change the Service Accounts, if desired.)
- On the Database Engine Configuration page, under the Server Configuration tab, select Mixed Mode, enter a password for the SQL system administrator (SA) account, add the domain "service account" as an administrator, and click Next. (Note: You can also modify the Data Directories, if desired.)
- At the Ready to Install page, confirm everything is correct and click Install.
- Wait for the installation to complete and then close Setup.
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In the left pane, expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Select the Protocols entry for your newly installed SQL instance.
- In the right pane, right-click Named Pipes and click Enable.
- In the left pane, select SQL Server Services.
- In the right pane, right-click the SQL Server service for your newly installed SQL instance and click Restart.
Do not install SQL Reporting Service. If you have questions about this, please contact AccessData Support.