Versions of AD eDiscovery prior to 5.6.3 do not support a workflow for "Single file collection". In other words, the collection of a certain file based on the file name of the file (which may or may not be restricted to a certain local or network share path).
The workflow varies depending on whether you are collecting from an AccessData computer agent or from a network share datasource.
AccessData Computer Agent Collections
- Create collection as you would normally.
- Within the collection job wizard, when you get to the "Computers" tab, click the "Add" button to add an inclusion filter.
- Give the filter a name and enter in the full file system path of the file you wish to target. Do not enclose the path in quotes. Save the filter when done.
For example: C:\Users\administrator\NTUSER.DAT
- Save, approve, and execute the collection.
Network Share Datasource Targets
Say for example you are wanting to target a certain file found at:
In the following examples, the term "target share" path or folder refers to "\\FILESERVER\shared\users_home_shares".
If by chance the folder structure below "\\FILESERVER\shared\users_home_shares" contains multiple files named "target.xlsx" underneath other user's home share folders, and you only want to collect the instances of "target.xlsx" found within "\bob_smith\documents\", then you can select the parent folder as your target and filter the results relative to that target using the "Path contains" field.
Important Note: For this workflow, the application will collect all files that match the specified file name within the folder structure relative to the targeted share folder.
- Create a collection job and select parent folder (below which you would like to search for matching files).
- Add an inclusion filter. On the "Meta Info" tab:
a) Enter a name for your filter.
b) In the "Path contains" field, enter the specific folder (relative to the target directory). In this example bob_smith.
- On the "File Content" tab:
a) Enter the file name of the specific file you wish to collect. In this example, target.xlsx.
- Check the box labeled "Search File name only"
- Click "OK" to save the filter, save the collection, approve, and execute the collection.
This workflow was not supported until AD eDiscovery 5.6.3 and newer.
(be sure to add labels to help others find your article)