Introduction: If manual attempts to startup the Oracle database from the sqlplus tool reports there are issues with the Control Files, you may need to recover or replace the bad Control Files.
- Open a Command Prompt (as Administrator)
- Start SQLplus with the command sqlplus
- Log into the database with the username sys as sysdba
- If the customer performed a custom Oracle installation, when prompted, enter the password they set during installation. If the customer performed a "typical" Oracle installation, call Support for assistance.
- Ensure the database is stopped with the command shutdown
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the Control Files (usually <OracleHome>\oradata\FTK2)
- Create a new folder called "Backup" and move the 3 Control Files (CONTROL0X.CTL) to the new folder.
- Create three copies of CONTROL01.CTL from the "Backup" folder, placing them back in the original "FTK2" folder, and name the copies CONTROL01.CTL, CONTROL02.CTL, and CONTROL03.CTL
- Back in the Command Prompt, attempt to startup database with command startup
- If you continue to receive errors about the Control Files, delete the newly created Control Files, and repeat steps 8 and 9, using the backups of either CONTROL02.CTL or CONTROL03.CTL as a base for 3 new Control Files