When attempting to create a new case in FTK/AD Lab/AD Enterprise, you receive the error "An error occurred while attempting to create the case".
Below are common causes for the error. Please examine FTK_Log.txt found at this location, for error messages that may help pinpoint the exact cause of the problem:
1) The correct version of the Evidence Processing Engine is not installed (check version here).
2) The account used to launch FTK/AD Lab/AD Enterprise does not have full permissions to the case directory.
3) The database and/or case directory disk has run out of space.
4) You have a 32-bit version of MS-SQL.
5) The PostgreSQL service has stopped.
6) You specified a network path for the Database Directory.
1) Ensure the correct version of the Evidence Processing Engine is installed, and that it is not installed as a Distributed Engine on the FTK machine.
2) Ensure your Windows account has full permissions to the case directory.
3) Ensure you have sufficient free space for your database and case directory on your disk(s).
4) If you are using MS-SQL with FTK, make sure you have the 64-bit version installed. The query below should yield a result that says "64-bit".
5) If you are using PostgreSQL with FTK, make sure that the "Postgresql" service is started.
6) Leave "Database Directory" blank and "In the case folder" unchecked (see this article for more information).