When attempting to perform a job that goes through the ASYNC component (i.e., loadfile import, bulk operations, etc.) the job fails. Looking through the Windows Event Viewer reveals error messages similar to the below:
"There was an error during processing of the managed application service auto-start for configuration path: 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/AsyncProcessingServices'. The error message returned is: 'An initialization error occurred while trying to preload an application.
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Database.DLL' or one of its dependencies. The operating system cannot run . (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B6)"
Edit the Environment Variables using the steps below.
1. Right click on My Computer (Server 2008 R2) or This PC (Server 2012) and click Properties
2. Click Advanced system settings.
3. Click the button Environment Variables...
4. Under User variables click the PATH variable and click Edit...
5. Confirm that the variable "C:\Program Files\AccessData\AsyncProcessingServices\bin;" is the first in the list. If not, move it to the front and click OK. (NOTE: it may help to copy the variables to a text editor).
6. Perform step 5 again for the Path variable under System variables.
7 Click OK and restart the server.
In some environments, the Async Processing Services must have its bin folder path at the beginning of the Environment Variables. If the variable is not at the front, the App Pool used by Async (AsyncProcessingAppPool) won't start or stay running when attempting to perform jobs that use Async.
AD Ediscovery version 5.6.3 and earlier
Summation Pro version 5.6.3 and earlier