What are the minimal requirements for installing MS SQL Server 2012 & 2014 for use with AD software?
- 32-bit and Express versions of MSSQL are not supported
- Both "Standard" or "Enterprise" editions can be used
- MSSQL licensing should be done based on CPU Core count rather than by User count (CAL)
- Run the SQL Server Installation Setup executable and wait for the SQL Server Installation Center window to appear.
- Choose the Installation tab and click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- Enter your product key and click Next.
- Accept the License Terms, and click Next.
- On the Setup Role page, select the SQL Server Feature Installation option and click Next.
- On the Feature Selection page, check Database Engine Services, Management Tools – Basic, and Management Tools – Complete and click Next. (Note: You can also modify the directories, if desired.)
- On the Instance Configuration page, select either Default Instance or Named Instance and click Next. (Note: If using a Named Instance, be sure to remember the name.)
- On the Server Configuration page, open the Collation tab and ensure the Database Engine is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI-AS and click Next. (Note: You may also change the Service Accounts, if desired.)
- On the Database Engine Configuration page, under the Server Configuration tab, select Mixed Mode, enter a password for the SQL system administrator (SA) account, add the domain "service account" as an administrator, and click Next. (Note: You can also modify the Data Directories, if desired.)
- At the Ready to Install page, confirm everything is correct and click Install.
- Wait for the installation to complete and then close Setup.
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In the left pane, expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Select the Protocols entry for your newly installed SQL instance.
- In the right pane, right-click Named Pipes and click Enable.
- In the left pane, select SQL Server Services.
- In the right pane, right-click the SQL Server service for your newly installed SQL instance and click Restart.
Do not install SQL Reporting Service. If you have questions about this, please contact AccessData Support.